A Message from the Principal
Dear FRC Families and Students,
Here we are in the middle of October and Hexter 1 is coming to an end. We are looking forward to another great Hexter of learning starting on October 26. We asked our students to give us feedback on CDL and we took your feedback seriously. With that being said, there will be a change in the bell schedule starting H2. Advisory will be moved from 2:15 to 10:15. See the schedule change here. Many of you said that CDL is boring and not engaging enough, and that is something your teachers and I continue to work on. We have to remember that this is new for all of us. Your teachers are willing to learn new things to make CDL as engaging as possible and will continue professional learning in that area.
We also gave students the opportunity to answer the following open-ended questions. You can see some of the answers below.
Fill in the blank: “I am not able to engage in distance learning because _______________”
- I am a socialized person. I think it would be better if I was around people. I don’t like staring at a laptop for so long.
- I am able to engage.
- Schoolwork is boring and I can’t concentrate. I have slow internet so it takes time to load up the sites and I can’t log in through the dashboard for some reason.
- I’m doing well during distance learning.
- It got a little hard because I don’t understand anything and it’s not like how the school used to be.
What is going well for you in distance learning?
- Getting work done meeting my teachers
- The teachers are being understanding, which is pretty helpful
- Basically everything except turning work in on time
- Being in a different school. Like Douglas, I just wasn’t doing well.
- I’m able to do most of my assignments early. The only downside to that is it takes up a lot of my day.
- The pace of things and how they have it set up every other day.
If you were in charge, how would you improve distance learning?
- Put advisory at the beginning of the day on Friday.
- I’m not sure it’s pretty good so far.
- I wouldn’t, it’s fine for me so far.
- Not post a lot of work at once and give more time to do bigger assignments to make sure it’s fun so the people would like it.
- I honestly don’t know, probably if you don’t turn in something on time it is okay because you may be stressed and overwhelmed.
- I would probably switch how on Friday we have advisory at 2:15 to earlier in the morning. I personally would find it more beneficial if we had it around the time we have the first period rather than our last.
- I would make the start time earlier, make some teachers google classroom easier to maneuver and more detailed, and take unnecessary stress of teachers and students.
- I would make everything pretty much right in front of your face without having anything outside of google classroom because it gets harder to teach when you have to go back and forth between documents, and when I get frustrated I tend to give up (it’s a bad habit I know) but I wouldn’t want anyone else to get that way either