Fir Ridge Campus – Where Education Meets Flexibility
Welcome to Fir Ridge Campus, a distinctive David Douglas School District educational resource. Fir Ridge is dedicated to providing a specialized educational environment to meet the diverse needs of our students.
- Who We Are: Fir Ridge Campus is a dropout prevention program within the David Douglas High School system. We understand that a large, comprehensive high school with over 2,500 students only works for some. At Fir Ridge, we offer an alternative path to education, focusing on individualized support and success.
- Enrollment Process: Fir Ridge is not a standalone school but a David Douglas High School campus. All students must initially enroll at the high school and then be referred to Fir Ridge by a David Douglas High School counselor or administrator. Our campus has a maximum capacity of 215 students, with class sizes ranging from 15 to 20.
- Our Unique Approach: Due to our building’s unique needs and limited classroom space (12 classrooms), we prioritize graduating students while offering a tailored educational experience. We operate on a distinctive schedule of six sessions, which we refer to as “hexters.” Each hexter consists of approximately 29 school days, during which we graduate students and intake new ones to fill available vacancies.
- Attendance Matters: Regular attendance is crucial at Fir Ridge. We do not focus on excused or unexcused absences, but making up the missed work is essential if you are absent. You can achieve this by working directly with each teacher to stay on track with your coursework.
- Credit Opportunities: Fir Ridge offers just over eight credits per year, allowing students to progress at their own pace. We recognize the value of work experience and provide a creative way to earn elective credits for students with part-time jobs. Bring in your most recent pay stub; for every 130 hours worked, you can earn one elective credit.
- Class Structure: We do not follow an A/B day schedule but offer five classes daily. Students who successfully complete a class can earn 0.25 credit at the end of the hexter for each class. This flexible approach empowers students to take ownership of their learning journey.
- Grade Levels: Fir Ridge primarily serves students in the 11th and 12th grades, with limited availability for 9th and 10th graders. This focused approach ensures that upper-level students receive the specialized attention and resources they need to excel.
- Career and Technical Education (CTE): We proudly offer two distinct CTE courses of study: Business/Entrepreneurship and Industrial Arts. These programs equip our students with practical skills and knowledge, preparing them for a successful future in their chosen fields.
- Return to DDHS Process: If a student enrolls at Fir Ridge and wishes to return to the comprehensive campus, they must meet with our administrative team. David Douglas High School requires students seeking a transfer to be on track to graduate, maintain 90% attendance, and have no major disciplinary referrals.
- Graduation Ceremony: While students at Fir Ridge earn the same diploma as their counterparts at David Douglas High School, they participate in our unique graduation ceremony.
At Fir Ridge Campus, we are committed to providing a supportive and individualized learning environment. We encourage our students to reach their full potential and empower them to succeed academically and beyond. If you have any questions or would like to learn more about Fir Ridge, please do not hesitate to contact our front office.